Carbon Monoxide - The Facts
What Is Carbon Monoxide?
It is a commonly
found, insidious and deadly poisonous gas, produced when fossil
fuels such as gas, oil and solid fuel appliances are in operation.
Greater amounts are produced if there is inadequate ventilation or
oxygen for the appliance to use, or if the appliance is not working
property. Inhaling it stops the blood taking up vital oxygen needed
to keep you alive.
It has no colour,
smell, or taste
It is silent,
invisible, and deadly
When Are You At Risk?
You are at risk of
carbon monoxide poisoning if:
Equipment is not
working properly — due to incomplete combustion
There is not
enough fresh air in the room
A chimney or flue
gets blocked up and carbon monoxide enters your living area
What Are The Danger Signs?
You won’t always be
able to see signs of carbon monoxide, only its’ effect. If you spot
any of these signs, turn off your appliance and call in an expert
Are The Symptoms?
These are just some
of the symptoms. You could also feel tired or have palpitations,
diarrhoea, and stomach pains.
Carbon Monoxide can
cause death or permanent injury to oxygen rich tissue, such as the
brain or heart. Continuous exposure to even relatively low levels of
Carbon Monoxide can lead to significant health effects.
poisoning is often confused with flu or cold symptoms or the effect
of modern living.
you have any of these symptoms, turn off your appliance immediately
and seek medical advice.
Where Are The Potential Carbon Monoxide Sources In The Home?
All Gas Burning
All Oil Burning
coal or gas)
Warming up a car
on a cold morning in an attached garage
Propane, Methane, Butane, Wood, Oil, Petrol, Coal and Charcoal, also
known as ‘Fossil Fuels”, can all produce Carbon Monoxide under the